US Claims Russia Is ‘Increasing Tensions’ By Sending Military To Maduro Gov’t In Venezuela

As a new wave of blackouts hit Venezuela, the United States is responding to reports of an increased Russian military presence in Caracas, and claiming that this is evidence of “reckless escalation.”
In response to reports that Russia has deployed military planes, troops and equipment to Venezuela, both U.S. officials and politicians who support the overthrow of President Nicolas Maduro have been quick to comment. 
National Security Adviser John Bolton insisted that while opposition leader Juan Guaido is simply calling for humanitarian aid, Maduro is asking for Cuban and Russian goons to suppress the people of Venezuela.
Despite existing diplomatic ties between Russia and Venezuela, Senator Marco Rubio, used the reports as an opportunity to call for members of Congress and regional leaders who said they opposed U.S. military intervention to be just as forceful against Russia’s military presence in Venezuela.
U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo spoke to Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov over the phone, and reportedly claimed that the insertion of Russian military personnel in Venezuela would only prolong the country’s problems.
The State Department also released a statement calling on Russia to cease its “unconstructive behavior and join other nations who seek a better future for the Venezuelan people.”
Russia’s Ministry of Defense still has yet to comment on the reports, and diplomatic sources in Caracas claimed that Russian military personnel arrived to take part in bilateral consultations between the two nations.
In a statement, the president of Venezuela’s National Constituent Assembly said the planes from Russia were authorized by the only government that there is in Venezuela, the government of Nicolas Maduro. 
This comes as a new wave of blackouts spread across Venezuela on Monday afternoon, hitting at least 16 out of 23 states. It sparked fears that the country would experience another outage similar to the massive blackout just weeks ago that marked the worst in the country’s history.
Venezuelan officials were quick to blame the latest outage on what they called a new attack on the country’s National Electric System by US-backed opponents. They declared that power had been fully restored by Monday evening, but there were more reports of outages throughout the night.
As the battle of words between the United States and anyone who supports the government of Maduro continue, it remains to be seen just how far the U.S. will go to respond to Russia’s reported military presence in the region.
Advertisements

Posted by

Rachel Blevins is a journalist who aspires to break the left/right paradigm in media and politics by pursuing truth and questioning existing narratives.

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.